Essential oils safety information
Essential oils are powerful gifts of nature which sometimes can be stronger than you realise. This guide will help you to use essential oils safely. It is important to read information about oils before you use them.
- Although Lavender and Tea Tree (the only two oils) can be applied neat to the skin it is still wise to add them to a carrier oil to dilute them before use.
- A carrier oil is a vegetable oil for example grape seed oil, sweet almond oil or Jojoba oil that is used to dilute essential oils.
- If you experience some irritation when you use the oils, stop using them and apply a carrier oil to the affected area. Remember to perform a patch test before using the oil again.
- Only use oils that are safe and non toxic and for someone who is pregnant it is best not to use them at all unless you are an expert or have been advised by a medical doctor.
- Avoid sensitive areas such as eyes, ears, genitals.
- Follow the proper usage guides for each oil and start slowly, you only need one or two drops because essential oils are very powerful.
- Many essential oils are useful for use on children but should always be diluted first.
- You should always be careful to ask a medical practitioner if you can use oils if you have a medical condition where there could be an adverse reaction.
- Buying a simple book about essential oils is helpful and also interesting to read.
- Take care and enjoyed the benefits of using essential oils in the home, for wellness and for natural beauty.
Remember to store your bottles away from children and in a cool dark place away from temperature extremes. Keep a check on the best before dates because many citrus oils only have a short life of between 3-6 months .